BASIC SPONGE RECIPE
|2 x 6”|
|2 x 8″ |
| 2 x 9″|
|2 x 10″ |
Oven Temperature: 180C (160C in fan assisted oven)
- Separate the eggs
- To the yolks add water and oil; whisk well using electric hand mixer
- Add vanilla essence and sugar – mix well
- Add sifted flour, salt and Baking powder –mix well
- Add fairly stiff whisked egg whites to batter and fold in carefully. Don’t overmix!
- Bake in prepared tins:
- Cupcakes: 15 – 18 minutes
- 6” (15 cm) round tin: 20 – 24 minutes
- Large Rectangle tin: 40 – 60 minutes
- As soon as cakes are removed from oven, drizzle syrup over them to keep moist. (See Syrup recipe)
To make a chocolate cake see “Cocoa exchange for flour” in above table. Remember whatever you take out you must add back in.
To make a red velvet cake, make a chocolate cake and add approximately 10 – 30 ml of red food colouring to the mixture BEFORE you add the whisked egg whites.