1.5kg cake flour
9 heaped teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp salt
500g butter (or baking margarine)
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups castor sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla essence
- cup chopped pecan nuts (optional)
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Roughly chop nuts
- Beat butter till soft; Whisk eggs together then add your buttermilk and vanilla essence; add this mixture to your butter and beat until blended.
- Mix flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, add nuts and knead well until firm dough is formed. If it is easier, once the dough starts to come together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until all ingredients are combined and a firm dough is formed
- Grease a large baking tray and flatten the dough into the tray with a rolling pin (about 2cm in height)
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes
- Cool off in tray on cooling rack. Once cool, cut into slices.
- Arrange slices on two baking trays and pop back in the over at 100 degrees for about 5 hours with the door slightly open (use a wooden spoon in the door). Switch off your oven and leave the trays in with the door closed overnight.
Enjoy dunking them in your cup of tea or coffee 😊