This recipe is for baked donuts or for use in a mini donut maker (similar to a waffle iron) – really easy to make and soooo delicious. You can use either a royal icing glaze (stiff peaks) and dip a few times to get a nice consistency or simply glaze in a thin glaze (see recipe below) and leave as is or coat in cinnamon sugar. You can also decorate with sprinkles, chopped nuts, vermicelli or whatever takes your fancy. You can also dip them in a yummy chocolate ganache – works really well too (recipe below)
- 200g flour
- 125g sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 125ml milk
- 50g melted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- In a large bowl sitr in the flour, castor sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix till combined. Then add the melted butter, egg, vanilla essence, ground nutmeg and milk. Beat all ingredients together with an electric beater until the mixture becomes smooth and thick.
- Add mixture to a piping bag and carefully pipe into the donut rings in your preheated donut maker – (**or lightly greased donut pan – SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW).
- Cook for 2 minutes in the donut maker or until they are golden brown and soft to the touch. Carefully remove and place on a cooling rack. (I fined a teaspoon works well to carefully remove them)
- decorate as desired
- If you prefer, you can lightly brush them with melted butter and coat with cinnamon sugar – really delicious!
- After mixing the batter, add mixture to a piping bag and carefully pipe mixture into lightly greased donut rings in your baking pan (about 3/4 full).
- Bake at 170C for approximately 13 minutes
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack
- Decorate as desired
CHOCOLATE CHIP DONUTS
- 100g plain flour
- 45g cocoa powder
- 100g light brown sugar
- 80g chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 90ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 50g melted butter
In a bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, light brown sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix together until all combined.
Then add the following to the dry ingredients: egg, milk, vanilla essence, apple cider vinegar and melted butter. Mix together until all combined.
Add mixture to a piping bag and pipe mixture into donut rings in your lightly greased donut baking pan (3/4 full)
Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for approximately 13 minutes. Allow to cool then glaze and decorate – enjoy!
- 200 Dark chocolate
- 100ml milk/cream
Carefully melt the chocolate and milk/cream together in the microwave on full power for approximately 60 seconds; be careful not to overheat otherwise the ganache will split. If this happens quickly beat in a little extra milk/cream to bring the mixture together again. Allow to cool slightly (it will thicken as it cools down). Dip the top of your donuts in the ganache then decorate with sprinkles, nuts or vermicelli – enjoy!
- 250g icing sugar
- 75g butter
- 3 – 5Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Melt the butter, add the milk, add icing and vanilla. If you want a thinner glaze, add more milk.
As soon as your donuts have been baked quickly dip each donut in the glaze to coat all over with the glaze and allow to dry on a cooling rack. You can then dip the tops of each donut in either the ganache or a thicker glaze and then decorate with sprinkles, chopped nuts or vermicelli – Enjoy