1kg Plain Flour
500g salted butter, chilled and cut into squares
500g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Zest of 2 – 3 oranges (optional – but delicious!)
- Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla together until just combined
- Gradually add the eggs
- Add the flour and bring the mixture together until just combined (Be careful not to overwork the mixture)
- divide into 3 parts and carefully roll each part into a cylinder shape
- Wrap each cylinder shape in clingfoil and chill for approximately 1 hour
- Once chilled Roll the dough to approximately 5mm thick
- Cut out the cookies and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Place baking tray with the cookies on it in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes
- Bake at 175C for 8 – 12 minutes until the edges have just started to brown – be careful not to overbake
- Dip the cookies in melted chocolate or drizzle as desired.
TIP: Make sure you roll them out onto a non stick surface and sprinkle both surface and rolling pin with icing sugar to avoid sticking to surface and rolling pin. Remember to not overwork the dough.